Sunday, August 25, 2013

Blog Post #1

   Having to build a perfect school seems like it would be an easy task. After thinking of ideas, these decisions can be tough. In Krissy Venosdale's blog and Sugata Mitra's video they both explain their own ideas of what their perfect school that they built would be like. These two helped me come up with my own ideas for what my school would be like.
    I would like to teach 6th grade Social Studies. If I could build my own school, computers would be in every class and also a computer lab with Mac computers. Also, smart boards would be in every class room. There will be a  class at the end of the day would be just for studying purposes only. During this class students can begin to start on their homework and studies. A friendly staff that is willing to help each student. Last, more interesting hands on class group activities.

  What do you want your students to know?

I would like my students to know that everything that they read is not the full truth. Most of the things they read are true facts but some things are one sided opinions that may have been exaggerated to some extent. I want my students to know that all questions are allowed and there are no stupid questions. Also, since I am teaching Social Studies I think they should learn as much as they can about other countries and cultures.

  What do you want your students to be able to do?

I would like my students to be able to know how to use a computer. My students should be knowledgeable in social skills and academic skills in and out of the classroom.

   What will be your primary way of teaching your students what you want them to know and to do?

I will use the smart board if it is available. Also using the book and using power point together.

  What tools will you use in your classroom? 

I will use both power point on a smart board if it is available and also writing notes on the board.

  What role will students play in your classroom, i.e. how will they participate in the learning process?

 Students will have a comfortable learning environment and will be able to help other classmates as well. Also, having plenty of in class group work. Where they will learn how to work with others and how to accept other opinions.

3 comments:

  1. "I would like my students to know that everything that they read is not the full truth. Most of the things they read are true facts but some things are one sided opinions that may have been exaggerated to some extent." I have several questions. What is "full truth"? Why do you say "Most of the things..." Wouldn't that depend on what they read? Some people there is no such thing as truth - only hypotheses that have not yet been rejected. What do you think of that argument? Who decides what is "truth"? How is that decided?

    "I would like my students to be able to know how to use a computer." They will! Guaranteed!

    "I will use both power point on a smart board if it is available and also writing notes on the board." These are the tools for your classroom? Why do you want students to know how to use a computer then?

    You never tell us anything about Sugata Mitra's views, ideas, experiments. Did you watch the video? I presume not. You must always do all parts of an assignment.





    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dominique, I like your idea of creating a comfortable environment for your students. A comfortable environment may give a student the courage to speak his or her mind and be more creative in class. I also like the idea of having students working together as cooperative learners, working together can help students to build social skills and give them a chance to understand their classmates ideas and ways of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dominique! I liked your idea on kids working together and being able to help each other out. While the teacher has been given the knowledge and information to teach children, it doesn't mean that all their students will understand the teacher's lessons and directions. That student may need to learn from another student's perspective to really understand. When you said you wanted computers in every classroom, what about multiple computers in a classroom or every child having one? Most classrooms have at least one computer in the classroom but with 20 students, it is mostly a reward to individual students. When you say that you want your students to be able to use a computer, how would you like them to be able to use it? Would it be just general use or for research and making power point presentations or maybe even getting in touch with people in the geographical area that they are learning about? I think your post had some good points but to better understand what you really wanted out of "your" school, it would have been nice if you had expanded more on your answers with more detail.
    "I would like my students to know that everything that they read is not the full truth" I think this statement is one of the most important especially with all the access students have to the internet now.

    ReplyDelete