Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Post #4

Why Podcasts? How do we do a podcast?


      Podcasting is a great way to teach students. A few of my professors have used podcasts for there lectures so I know the basics of them. One thing I did not know was that podcasts could be played on a MP3 player. For this assignment we had to watch at least 3 videos concerning podcast. The  first video I watched was 1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook. First grade students created their own audio book. Each student was given an a character. They recorded their book and put it with a podcast. The kids were engaged and excited to be a part of the assignment and hear themselves out loud. I like how excited the kids were!

The second podcast was Podcast Collection. It states what a podcast is and how to use it effectively in a classroom. It explains how easy and cheap podcasting can be. Only three things are required which includes a computer, microphone, and software. It gives tips on how to be successful in using podcast inside of the classroom.  Which include giving them a variety of topics to chose from. It also gives an example on how to schedule podcasting into a class period.

The last video The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom  by Joe Dale gives tips on how podcasts can benefit students. It goes into details on how students in this generation are able to relate to podcast because it deals with technology. Podcast can be used for children who become sick and miss class. Parents can see and hear what their children are doing in school.







2 comments:

  1. Ms. Jones, I enjoyed reading your summary post about podcasting. Your approach is very simple and straightforward, although, it may be too simple for our class assignments. I recommend trying to be more creative in describing and/or summarizing the assigned videos. I also have struggled to find excitement in some of our various assignments; however, I believe by stepping outside of the box in our interpretations we can “spice” the assignments up.

    For example in your sentence, “A few of my professors have used podcasts for their lectures, so I know the basics of them.” Go ahead, you have an edge. You know, firsthand, what these types of learning tools can do. First, give us the podcasting basics. I’m old school and have never experienced a podcast in a classroom. I would love to hear your perception of this tool. Secondly, what are the pitfalls and advantages that you experienced? Basically, your post lacks the details and examples that would have made your post more interesting.

    In addition, Blog Post # 4 assignment instructions stated: provide what we have learned that we could use in our own podcast. I am not sure you attacked this part of our assignment. However, after revising your post, I have come to realize that I, too, did not answer the questions in their entirety. Oh well, next time we’ll get it right.

    Finally, remember to not just write what you watched, but have fun and challenge yourself to stand out. This will make these writing assignments much more exciting. Good luck with your classes.

    Thanks
    Brantley Spillman

    ReplyDelete