Sunday, November 24, 2013

C4T


 John T. Spencer is my last teacher. I really liked reading his blog. Not only did he talk about things to implement in the classroom, but he also talks about the social part about being a teacher that I haven't seen on my other C4T's.

From "Living for Teaching " to "Teaching for a Living"
  On his first post he talks about when he first began teaching that he believed teaching was his identity. In his free time he would write lesson plans, grade papers, and spent time with fellow teachers and talk about education. He began to realize that he was missing out on his sons life.  John began to realize that teaching is part of him and not who he is. Before this, John was unable to ask for help and did not like to take breaks because he considered it to be lazy. Now, John has became more vocal for things such as healthcare cost and teacher salary.

Comment 1:
Hello John. My name is Dominique Jones and I am a student at the University of South Alabama class EDM 310. I really enjoyed reading your post. Even though I am not a teacher yet I like your ideas.  When I become a teacher I need to remember  not make teaching my whole life. I should also be able to speak up and to enjoy doing things that I like to do. Thank you!




How to Survive as an Introverted Teacher

On John's second post, he explains on how to survive being an inrtoverted teacher.
John considers himself as an introvert and when he first began to teach he felt that he needed to eat lunch with the staff in the lounge but he really wanted to read a book or be at every school event to support his students.

He gives 7 examples on how to survive the extrovert-dominiated teaching field. :

1.Conferences-  John meets his students one-on-one weekly.  This helps the students get valuable face time with the students.
2.  Social Media- He likes to talk with his few close friends this way instead of talking face to face.
3. Introverted Hobby- Chose a hobby. John likes to write in his free time.
4. Limit Noise- Limit everyday noise such as the radio in the car.
5. Permission to be Alone- Give yourself
permission to withdraw.
6. Volunteer for Introverted Projects- Chose work that allows to be self-directed.
7. Awareness- Explain to others who may think you are being standoffish or shy. Explain that being an introvert is and that is why you work well in specific areas.


Comment 2:
Hello John. My name is Dominique Jones and I am a student at the University of South Alabama class EDM310. I can really relate to this post. I consider myself to be an introvert especially meeting new people or being in groups. I am a Secondary Education major and I get nervous when I observe classrooms and I definitely need to work on that!  These tips are great and I will remember to use them when i become a teacher.  Great Post!

No comments:

Post a Comment